Many of us start the day with a fresh cup of coffee and then head out to work. While your cup of Joe might help you perk up, it doesn’t do much for your physical wellbeing.
Performing the following easy stretches each morning will loosen your muscles to help you prepare for the day ahead:
- Cobra stretch: Lay on your stomach, and place your hands beneath your shoulders. Then tuck your elbows while gently raising your head and chest. Hold this position for about 15 seconds before gently lowering yourself back down.
- Knees-to-chest: Lying down, bring one knee to your chest, and hold it with your hands for 15 seconds to stretch your back. Repeat this step with your other knee, or do both knees at once for faster results.
- Spinal twist: While you’re still on your back, raise one knee, and gently roll it over to the opposite side. Breathe deeply, and then repeat it with the other knee. This may feel a bit uncomfortable at first, but it’s great for stretching your sides and lower back.
- Upper back stretch: Sit on your bed or a chair with your feet flat on the floor, and reach your arms forward, bending from your middle back. These morning stretches will stretch out your shoulder blades.
- Shoulder stretch: To further get your shoulders ready for the day, relax your shoulders, and bring one arm across your body. Use your other arm to hold the position for 15 seconds before repeating it on the other side.
- Neck stretch: Keep your shoulders relaxed, and gently use your arms to move your left ear to your left shoulder. Hold the position for 15 seconds, and then repeat it with the other side. Don’t stretch to an uncomfortable point, though, as this can lead to injury.
- Side stretch: Stand with your feet apart, and clasp your hands above your head. Then gently lean to one side until you feel a deep stretch. Morning stretches like these are great for loosening muscles along the entire side of your body.
- Standing quad stretch: Stand straight while keeping your feet hip-width apart. Reach back, and grab your left foot with your left hand, and align your leg with your hip. Repeat this stretch with your right leg, holding the position for 15 seconds each time.
- Hamstring stretch: Stand straight, and bend one knee forward like you’re going to sit down. Then place the opposite leg outright, and point your toes towards the ceiling. As you bend forward from your hips, you should feel a nice stretch along your outstretched leg.
Let us get you on the path to better health
Taking a few moments out of your day to perform these easy stretches goes a long way in keeping you as healthy as possible, but to ensure you stay in good health, visit Focus Forward Wellness & Physical Therapy, and check out our wellness supplies. From foam rollers to gym bands, we have everything you need to stay in peak physical shape.
Categorised in: Home Exercise
This post was written by Writer