Strengthen the Lower Back with These ExercisesJuly 23, 2020 11:15 pm Leave your thoughts
More people are working office jobs than ever before, and all that sitting can result in some serious lower back pain. Lower back pain can make it difficult and uncomfortable to sit down and result in injuries and more serious pain problems down the road. Thankfully, people can alleviate back pain with the right lower back exercises in Napa County, CA. Keep reading to learn more about how to minimize pain and discomfort with some simple exercises and stretches.
Here are some of the best stretches to strengthen the lower back in Napa County, CA:
- Pelvic tilts: Pelvic tilts are great for strengthening the lower back and alleviating pain. Lay down on your back on a yoga mat or other soft surface and tilt your hips upwards by pushing down the lower back. Repeat this exercise several times to stretch and strengthen the lower back.
- Bridging: In the same position used for your pelvic tilts, push your pelvis up toward the ceiling and lower it back to the mat. Perform this exercise slowly to maximize the benefits and build more strength in your lower back.
- Modified planks: Modified planks are great for strengthening the core and the lower back. Start by getting on your knees and resting your elbows and forearms on the floor in front of you. Lower your back and squeeze your glutes. Hold the position for a few seconds at a time and repeat your modified plank for a few repetitions.
- Prone extensions: Prone exercises can be very effective at alleviating back pain. Start by laying down on your stomach on the floor and stretch your legs out behind you. Begin lifting each leg, one at a time, and hold to feel the stretch in your lower back. Next, try lifting one arm and leg at the same time, using the opposite arm and leg for the best stretch.
- Swiss ball exercises: Using a Swiss ball or exercise ball can help with comfort while working on lower back exercises. Sitting on a Swiss ball with both feet on the floor in front of you, straighten your back and begin lifting one knee at a time. Try to bring the knee up and put it back down slowly to improve the effectiveness of the exercise.
Many of these stretches are taught to patients during physical therapy treatment. A physical therapist will guide you through each exercise and observe your form to ensure the best results from your exercises. Physical therapists can also recommend modified stretches and movements to accommodate injuries or mobility limitation. Working with a physical therapist is a great way to reduce pain and improve mobility.
Physical therapy for lower back pain
If you’re struggling with lower back pain and are looking for treatment options, reach out to Focus Forward Wellness & Physical Therapy. Our physical therapists have the experience and expertise necessary to help you strengthen your lower back in Napa County, CA. Regardless of your specific concerns, we are here to help you get into the best physical shape possible. Call us today to schedule an appointment.
Categorised in: Exercise
This post was written by Writer