Starting your day off with a series of stretches is one of the best ways to prevent you from feeling tight, sluggish or otherwise uncomfortable for the rest of the day. So if you want to give yourself a quick boost of energy, better protect your body from injury and just feel better in your everyday life, here are a few examples of stretches we recommend at our wellness clinic in Napa County, CA to help you start your day off right:
- Calf stretches: Begin by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, and put your hands on a wall or chair. While keeping your heels planted on the ground and your knees straight, lean into that chair or wall and feel the tension in your calves. Do this stretch three to five times for 30 seconds each. It will relieve pain and tension in the knees, hips, feet and shins and help strengthen the Achilles tendons.
- Quadriceps stretches: Begin by standing with your feet together and your hips in a straight line. Bend your right knee backwards and hold your right foot in your right hand. Keep your knees as even as you can while bending that right knee back, and keep your body straight while holding that stretch. Then switch and do the same with the left leg. Do this three to five times for 30 seconds each to relieve knee and back pain while also improving circulation in your legs.
- Triceps stretches: Keep your feet shoulder-width apart, then raise your right arm over your head. Bend your elbow so you can reach for your left shoulder with your right hand, and use your left hand to pull back on the right elbow. Switch arms and repeat the process in reverse. Do this three to five times for 30 seconds each to help maintain and build mobility and flexibility.
- Shoulder stretches: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, then raise your right arm up to the height of your shoulder and bring it across your chest. With your left arm, pull on your right arm while keeping it as close to the chest as possible. Switch arms and repeat the process in reverse. Do this three to five times for 30 seconds each to improve flexibility.
- Butterfly stretches: Sit down on the floor, and align your heels and feet so they are touching each other. Press down gently on your thighs with your elbows and stretch out the groin area, which will help you develop more hip and thigh flexibility. Do this three to five times for 30 seconds each.
- Runner’s stretches: Also in a seated position, have one foot tucked in with the other facing straight out. Lean forward and attempt to grab your foot with an extended arm. If you are unable to grab your foot, just lean forward until you get a good hamstring stretch. This will be a great stretch to protect against knee and hip pain, which runners commonly experience.
For more examples of helpful everyday stretches, contact our wellness clinic in Napa County, CA.
Categorised in: Wellness Clinic
This post was written by Writer