Have you recently found yourself adding a few more rest days to your training schedule due to muscle soreness or injuries? Stop letting pain slow you down and consider using a foam roller. A foam roller massage, commonly known as a myofascial release, can loosen up sore muscles and tight joints and promote muscle recovery. During a foam rolling session, the roller applies pressure to the connective tissues surrounding your muscles, known as the fascia, to eliminate any adhesions and release tension.
Over time, regular foam rolling can improve movement and restore the body. Professionals at your physical therapy clinic in Napa County, CA are incorporating this dense, round piece of foam into their sessions as a simple way to help athletes recover more quickly and reduce sore muscles.
Not convinced? Read on to learn more about the benefits of foam rolling:
- Increase flexibility and range of motion: Previously, stretching was the most frequently used way to reduce any muscle tightness and increase flexibility both before and after working out or playing a sport. While this method does have its merits, recent scientific research has shown that regular foam roller usage a few times per week is actually a more effective way to increase your flexibility.
- Prevent injury: Both professional and casual athletes know that injuries can take a big hit on your time on the field or at the gym. Taking the proper steps to prevent an injury in the first place means you’ll have less downtime. Regular foam rolling has been shown to prevent a variety of injuries that are often associated with tightness or overuse, especially for runners. Unfortunately, improper foam rolling can actually do more harm than good when it comes to injury prevention, as it may increase inflammation. Consult your physical therapy clinic in Napa County, CA to discuss the best foam rolling methods for your specific goals.
- Reduce stress: Did you know that foam rolling has some of the same stress reduction benefits as a restorative yoga session? The myofascial release can actually lower your overall stress hormone levels so you’ll feel especially relaxed after an intense foam rolling session.
- Cut down on soreness: Muscle soreness is an annoying fact of life for athletes at all levels. Incorporating foam rolling into your regular workout routine with the help of a physical therapist can cut down the amount of time you have to spend icing your sore knee.
- Improve circulation: Good circulation is critical for peak athletic performance. A decrease in circulation can lead to numb limbs, a compromised immune system or even impaired cognitive skills. The myofascial release achieved through foam rolling will break up any tight areas where blood flow is restricted, which will lead to improved circulation over time.
Ready to learn more about how foam rolling can improve your workout? Contact the foam rolling experts at Focus Forward Wellness & Physical Therapy today. The team at our physical therapy clinic in Napa County, CA specializes in optimizing your sports performance through a variety of physical rehabilitation techniques, including foam rolling.
Categorised in: Physical Therapy Clinic
This post was written by Writer